One of the things that make the taxpayers proud of their government is the fact that they offer a lot of programs to help the other citizens in need, especially to things that matter like education and health. The BOG Fee Waiver is one of those programs that California has to help eligible students with their financial needs.
What are BOG Fee Waiver and Pell Grant?
The BOG Fee Waiver is a form of California Financial Aid for students (most likely enrolled in community colleges) who need financial assistance with their studies. The BOG Fee Waiver will waive the fees for enrollment for one school year or the summer term. The Pell Grant on the other hand, is a financial assistance for undergraduate students who doesn’t have any professional or bachelor’s degree yet. It is like a loan but you don’t have to repay it. You can reapply for the BOG Fee Waiver as much as you like but you cannot get another Pell Grant if you’ve already received it for a maximum of twelve semesters.
How can you qualify for the BOG Enrollment Fee Waiver?
The BOG Fee Waiver is a financial assistance for the poor so there are some few requirements to check if you eligible for this financial grant. Here are some of them:
- You must be a citizen of the State of California for at least one year and one day.
- You have received any of the following:
- Aid to Families With Dependent Children (AFDC)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI/SSP)
- General Relief
You must provide some documents as proof like verification from the agency, a copy of CA-7 with the last month or current date
- You have a certification that you are eligible for the fee waiver as a dependent from the National Guard Adjutant or California Department of Veterans Affairs.
- You are a child of a recipient or the recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor
- You are a child of a victim or one of the victims of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2011.
- You are a dependent of a fire suppression or law enforcement personnel who died in the line of duty.
- You are qualified for the FSFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
How can you apply for the BOG Fee Waiver?
There are many ways for you to apply for the BOG Fee Waiver.
- You can get a BOG Fee Waiver application in your respective colleges
- You can fill up the BOG Fee Waiver application form online. The data and information you’ve inputted will automatically be sent. This way your application would be much faster and easier.
- You can download and print the BOG Fee Waiver pdf file. You can either fill in your details in the pdf file or on the hard copy.
Go ahead and make use of this program if you qualify for the BOG Fee Waiver. Education is the best and safest investment you could give yourself in order to get a brighter future ahead of you and your family.
The BOGFW Application
You will want to download the PDF BOGFW application. You can also fill out the AB 540 Students Special Board of Governors Fee Waiver Application and then print the form. The financial aid office of your college can help you fill this out if you need help so ask if you need assistance.
You wan to submit the form to CCC Financial Aid Office of the college that you plan to attend. You want to ask the staff if you have to provide proof or give documents to show you are eligible as this can speed up the entire process for you. During the process you’ll probably be asked to provide proof of income so have a recent Tax Return (or your parents) ready. The college will review your application and then let you know if you qualify for the fee waiver.